M. TURNER LANDSCAPES
Meg Turner created M. Turner Landscapes (MTL) as a Virginia-based full service landscape design firm with a focus on creating gardens that reflect classic design principles. MTL transforms clients’ properties into beautiful, functional, elegant and timeless landscapes.
MTL collaborates with its clients to create gardens that:
- Reflect the client’s needs and desires
- Respond aesthetically and ecologically to the site’s natural characteristics
- Seamlessly integrate the style and flow of the home’s architecture and landscape
- Feature a plant palette that provides four seasons of interest with a beautiful interplay of restrained color, form and texture
- Feature hardscape elements made with exquisite natural materials and expert craftsmanship
- Respect the natural habitat by implementing effective storm water retention practices and using plants appropriate to the site
If you are looking to modify your landscape by creating new beds, walkways, terraces, architectural features, drives or water features, or if you seek to make changes to these already existing elements, a drafted landscape plan is necessary. After consultation with you (and your contractor and/or architect, if applicable) about your goals for the landscape, we will perform a site analysis, measure the site, draft a base map and draft a landscape plan. Where necessary, construction drawings are drafted. Depending on your objectives, plans may be limited to planting plans, or encompass more detailed drawings for terraces, walkways, walls, fences, trellises, driveways, water features and other landscape and garden features.
When you are ready to implement the plan, we recommend contractors who we have found over the years to be the best. Given the investment you are making in your property, it is crucial to use those masons, landscapers, carpenters, irrigators and graders who provide the best quality at the fairest price. After you choose the contractors, we will supervise installation to ensure that every detail is executed and we will work with the contractors and you to transform the landscape plan into a beautiful garden.
Once an installation is ready to begin, we meet with you and the contractor to go over the plan, discuss questions or on-site issues, decide on materials to be used and review the plant list regarding availability of plants, and any necessary substitutions. The contractor will call us once the garden or hardscape is laid out, and we will meet to make any necessary field adjustments. In addition, we will check in periodically, as necessary, to monitor progress, consult on issues that arise during construction and place new and transplanted plants once the beds are ready.
Landscape Plans are priced by the job. A proposal with a firm price is submitted to the client. The price takes into consideration the amount of time estimated to complete the plan(s), as well as the complexity and extent of the project. The price includes all consultations prior to and including presentation of the plan. Supervision of installation, nursery visits, and subsequent consultation with the client and contractors are billed at the $125 hourly rate. If the project includes significant grade changes, a topographic map of the property will be necessary and will be added as a separate item to the proposal.
If you are happy with the shape, size and design of your terraces, walkways, lawn and planting beds, but would like to add trees, shrubs or perennials, or play some musical chairs with the plants you have, a full landscape plan is not usually necessary. Instead, we will meet to discuss your thoughts and concerns and any plants you would like to incorporate into your new garden. We will then take rough measurements of the existing beds, make notes in response to our discussions, and draft a list of recommended plants. Once we finalize the plant list, we will coordinate with the landscape installer, meeting him to place the plants and discuss other changes (such as removal or transplanting of plants), and supervise installation.
Field Layouts are billed at the hourly rate of $125.
Consultations are recommended if:
- You want to know how and when to prune and/or transplant your shrubs, trees or perennials.
- You want guidance and an action plan on restoration and rejuvenation of a mature garden.
- You want help deciding where to place an acquired item, such as an inherited urn or a sundial you bought at a flea market.
- You are satisfied with your garden for the most part, but feel like something is missing (maybe a bench along a site line, an arbor to separate the driveway from the garden or a strategically placed tree would transform a space).
- You desire a walk through and general discussion regarding the potential your property holds; what’s working and isn’t working.
- You would like guidance on particular garden details, such as the style of fence, the optimal species for a hedge, the ideal material and pattern for a terrace or walkway.
- You would like assistance in finding the perfect garden furniture, containers, trellises, and other garden ornament to make your garden complete.
Consultations are billed at the hourly rate of $125.